Monday, February 9, 2009

Thoughts on Cotton Mather Readings

In Cotton Mather’s Nehemias Americanus, John Winthrop is described as a remarkable individual. Winthrop performs selfless feats, for he gives aid an entire community by giving them food and gives wood to a man who is previously forced to steal from his neighbor. While these feats are amazing, I did not find the actions of John Winthrop compelling. When I say this I mean, for I believe that Cotton Mather uses spotless image of John Winthrop to illustrate how a citizen of New England should behave and how life is better when an individual acts in a manner that preferable by God. I also believe Mather’s purpose is to demonstrate the glory of God and convert people to the one true path of salvation. As a reader, I do not find myself interested becoming a Puritan or a citizen of the New England area. I also thought if I were placed in the time period, would I convert to Puritanism? As a modern day English major being a puritan would be particularly boring and difficult. I love reading things like poetry and dramas; but as a Puritan, would not be able to read either. As an average Puritan, I feel I would study the Bible and only the Bible. In Glaeacius Secundus: The Life of William Bradford, Esq., Governor of Plymouth Colony. William Bradford tells young men to stop playing in the street and if the men were to rest they should study the Bible. The life of a Puritan must have been extremely difficult, as anything slightly fun is forfeited for God.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that these stories serve the purpose to demonstrate the glory of God. It seems as if the point is less about the individual doing good deeds than God's grace shining through them. Both characters are used as examples then, of how the ideal person behaved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with this notion because I feel that in the beginning of the biographical parallel by Mather, it constantly hints on how although Mather was one of the most influencial ministers in Puritan society, he always drew his conclusions and his writings back to God. Throughout the discovery of all of his ideas, he never lost the faith in God and still constantly pushed his New England community to confide and trust in God and follow in God's footsteps.

    ReplyDelete