Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Anne Bradstreet Rebel or Not?

I found the poetry of Anne Bradstreet most intriguing in our readings for this week. She is a fine poet with great talent and obviously great knowledge. I found her knowledge of Greek mythology and classical writers to be quite astounding for a woman of the period. There are many instances in Bradstreet's writing where she seems like she would be a typical Puritan woman, devoted to God and to her husband. Other times there are points where I see Bradstreet's poetry being highly controversial, at least in the context of time she was living. Her poetry was only published in England while she was a live and were not published in America until after her death. I think there is good reason for it. One, the Puritans had little use for art. Two, I don't see many Puritans being okay with the idea of a woman writing and being published. Finally thirdly, I think there is a lot of content in her poem's that would perhaps get her into trouble with the Puritan society. Her feminism for one in her poem about Queen Elizabeth I'm sure would have raised a few eyebrows. The poem emphasizes the strength that women can have and tries to convey the message that women are just as capable as man and could be strong. This goes against my view of what a Puritan society would believe. Also the poem raises Queen Elizabeth up to an almost divine status, even using the word deity. I'm sure that most Puritans would object to such language in that it suggests idol worship. I also sense a bit of questioning of God's will in her poetry about her grandchildren who died at young ages. She proclaims it to be God's will and accepts it and while there is nothing specific in the poem that would point to a questioning, to me there is an implied tone in her feverish acceptance of God's will that almost seems to question what kind of God would will this. Bradstreet is an extraordinarily interesting figure and I think she gives much insight into the lives and thoughts of Puritan women.

2 comments:

  1. I agreed a lot with your views. I felt that Anne Bradstreet could possibly be a closet feminist. Her writing depicts that she believes in the rights of women and that they should have a say in the world. Even just being a female writer is a huge step. Especially as a puritan, her being a writer and believing that women should have a say in the world is a contradiction of their beliefs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made my post about Anne Bradshaw and after reading this i have already found points that I wished I had touched on. That is so true about the publication of her works. I seem to forget how non-fun the Puritans were by discouraging the arts. It is amazing to me now, even more so, that she was even able to write and get these published without causing controversy amongst the group.

    ReplyDelete