Sunday, February 22, 2009

Christian Calling

At first I was a little skeptical about reading a sermon, but when I read further into what Cotton wrote I began to understand its importance. John Cotton seemed to speak to the people as an equal to them. He did not try to speak above them like some ministers do but rather spoke of everyone as one. He explains that having faith was more or a "noble calling" and that when you find God you are eager to do more with your life, like working for god. He says that when you have a job you feel you have a purpose. I can agree with that. I also feel accomplished when I do something constructive with myself instead of being lazy. I feel that the people listening to Cotton's speech would have really gotten into what he was saying. He speaks clearly and gets to the point of he wants to say, there is not extra language added to dazzle the people with his knowledge. He is very convincing on what he is saying and I feel that he was a well liked man among his people.

2 comments:

  1. I agree completely with what you said about a feeling of accomplishment and purpose when you do something constructive, and I agree that Cotton preaches to this notion. Cotton mentions that "Naturall life," or our personal trajectory of faith, is incomplete unless we match it with "Civill life," or working to better our communities. He wants us to stand up, stand by his side, and help make our corner of the world a little better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I also believe that good people always have a purpose in their life, where the not so good people are running free doing as they please. The good always are trying to improve their life and the life of others. This isn't seen in the evil, who only look out for their own interests.

    ReplyDelete