Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Eliza a Virago

Out of the three authors that we read for today, I enjoy Anne Bradstreet the most. By the way her diction and form are presented, I seem to think that her writing is writing of newer authors. Her word choice and the flowing of her poems is quite impressive knowing that she wrote them over three hundred years ago. My favorite of her writings is “In Honour of...Queen Elizabeth.” At first I figured that this poem was going to be boring and irrelevant to anything at all, but as much as I hate to say it, I “feel” as if Bradstreet wrote this poem about forty years ago. She is well ahead of her time. I think that I know Queen Elizabeth on a more personal level and that she is no longer just a person in a history book. My favorite part is when Bradstreet calls Queen Elizabeth a virago, which is described in the footnote as a person of stature with courage and strength, and that is not how I imagined Queen Elizabeth. I enjoyed Bradstreet more than the other authors, but that might just be because I am tired of reading about men. In the end I enjoy the writing style of Bradstreet more than Taylor.

2 comments:

  1. I as well enjoyed reading Bradstreet. One of my favorite pieces to read was on page 433 called Upon the Burning of Our House. In that piece and in alot of her writings she evokes such strong emotions. I could sit down and read her for fun. I also agree with you that you liked her word choice. The way she describes certain things and uses particular words is what makes her writing. On top of it all it is also great to feel proud as a woman that she was such a strong and inspiring writer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also enjoyed Bradstreet's writing. Although I was not too fond of her style of writing, feeling that it was not as flowing as it could have been, I did enjoy reading the topics she wrote about. I also think what she wrote was funny. She seems to often start by saying how horrible she is at writing poetry but is going to write anyways.

    ReplyDelete